Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Resolution’s in the air

Hello all time for some blather from your humble narrator.

If you want to achieve anything in the next year then you better start with a plan. First things first what is it you want to do this year? Make your list out and once you have it the fun begins.

Last year my goal was to loose a lot of weight and I was able to reach my goal because of the plans I had made prior to starting.

I have become very good at projecting in my mind the end game of my goals. If your goal is weight loss like mine,then imagine your life after you have reached your goal. I thought of all the people I run into everyday and what they might say to me, I thought about the clothes I could wear or what I would have to go buy because nothing would fit. I thought of what my doctor would say after telling me it’s very hard to keep weight off. I thought of how my family would be proud of me and most of all how I could be proud of myself.

I also took the time to think of failure and how I would respond to it,everyone on a diet will hit a plateau or stumble. I thought about Thanksgiving meals and parties and BBQ’s…I researched these problems before they came up so I would be ready.

I’m happy to say that I only had one surprise I was not prepared for, and in weight loss its pretty important. Once I switched to healthy food choices and removed sugar and grains from my life about a week or so into it I started to feel great! I was still very fat, but I felt really good. Every project that I tried just got easier with each week. If your too tired to even think about going for a walk imagine your surprise when the day comes its one of the highlights of your week.

It does not matter what your goal is, quit smoking, go to Europe, tour the baseball stadiums for the national league,learn an instrument, write that great novel. Start your plan. “If you fail to plan,plan to fail”. No shit its that simple. Get on the internet and start your research.

1. Google several different sites and forums. Challenge their advice and question everything.

2.Tell people, say it out loud.

3.Tell no one and see if they stop and tell you.

4.Document your journey, you will fail and go down some wrong turns,so what, its about what you want to do. Just get back on the path.

5. Take your victories as they come, maybe you got your passport which makes that trip just a little closer,you managed to save a bit extra one month for that new car. Enjoy the wins!

6. The only way you can not reach your goal is if you give up and that is your choice.

7. Check out the people that reached your goal,how did they do it? Learn from them and put it to  use for you.

8. This is not a race, it’s a marathon a test of endurance in a run up a long steep hill.

I’m very vocal on what I like to achieve,perhaps it’s a small thing to have people poke at me and say “How’s that --------- coming along?” You need to know what will drive you to reach your goal.

One important thing in weight loss I projected early on before I started, reaching my goal weight would not solve all of life’s problems. It would make me fitter and look better but I still have to work and pay taxes ,be a Dad and a husband etc..There is no free ride on a good life,its about work and planning,loving and under standing ourselves and each other.

So here’s my list for the new year and I will post my success and failures as they come.

1. I want to firm up my body now as I have a lot of flabby skin after losing 100lbs plus.

2. I want to write a novel in 2013 and try and publish it. Why not? I know tons of reasons to not even try,but I don’t want to look back at my and not even had tried..

3. Rhythm guitar playing, if you know me at all my passion is guitar and  yet I have dreadful rhythm, I am the guy they are speaking about when they say things like “dances like a white boy”. I have all but given up on singing (your welcome) but I know with some effort I can improve on my timing.

Look out for the energy Vampires this time of year who say things such as “ My resolution is not to have any” or “ What’s the point” Wow what a joy their life must be. Ignore them and move on to your true North! Set those goals and feel good about yourself along the way. You will be happier,and feel a sense of pride at the end of the day when you have made progress on your goals.

I chose last year to think before I speak (as often as I can) , to keep my politics to myself(very hard this year) and I no longer try to change everyone’s way of thinking . I was told by my daughter “please no lectures!!” so I will hold my thoughts for this page unless someone asks me.

 

The rest of my goals are private to myself and my family and I will be 50 in 2013 and this excites me to know end. Bring it on Life, I have planned and now I am ready.

 

Peace and Love all! Oh and Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment