Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Winter Hiking

 

Hello All,

I have notice ever since I started walking on a regular basis and hiking (I call it  hiking anytime I’m not on a smooth paved road or trail) that if I’m sitting still for too long I get anxious to move. This surprises me,  a guy  who use to watch a show I don’t like because I could not find the remote control and was too lazy to roll off the couch.  The winter has blown in and so I sneak in a short mile walk everyday  instead of sitting in our lunchroom. My lunch is now a protein shake and then I head out for a walk.

You do not need to be out for long before the cold finds all of your exposed spots. The simple thing to do is be prepared and take note when your out what your missing and what would have been useful to you.

Quick story, on a cold Saturday morning I went out for a walk wearing my vibram five toe shoes, now these are popular in the primal  world so I gave them a shot . Pros you feel like your walking barefoot but protected (sounds like an add for something else) and great for your balance and just feeling the Earth.  Cons I found out on that cold Saturday walk I had wore holes in both of the shoes and I had stepped in a few icy puddles. Well soon I was aware of the pain and I looked around and I was about two miles from home. My feet were freezing and because of the ice it was hard to move quick, in short I was not prepared and had I been out further I might have been at risk for frostbite.  Still love Vibrams just not for Winter as far as I’m concerned.

So bad things can happen and trouble can escalate in no time at all.

Here’s my basic list on my short day hikes (under 10 miles)

Layered clothing: I wear a long sleeve thermal shirt and add on a tee shirt and wear a water resistant jacket.  track suit pants again water resistant. Scarf,wool hat and insulated/water resistant gloves.

Cell phone and if I’m walking alone I let my wife know where I ‘m hiking and when I plan on returning. I get into some remote spots on my own with no service and its just a good plan  that someone knows where you are at.

I fuel up before hand but I like to have some type of snack handy like trail mix.

The solitude of Winter walking is wonderful and speaking for myself mandatory for peace of mind. The air is crisp and sounds travel far making the whole experience seem like your on a different planet. So please don’t miss out on the beauty of Winter or get hurt by not thinking a bit before you hit the trails.

If you have some thoughts or tips to add to this I would love hear from you.

Peace and Love all!

10906361_10203289074330209_6835569416395572495_n

2 comments:

  1. I saw your story on MDA an popped over to have a look at your blog. There's lots of interesting stuff here, it will take me a while to read it all but I can already tell that you are a good writer. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thank you much!, I just writing down my journey as I go along good and bad. Great to hear from anyone who follows MDA. All the best

      Delete