Thursday, May 1, 2014

Back to the woods

 

Going along with all this Primal way of living the thing I enjoy the most is perhaps the most primal of all.

Fire!

I love watching these shows on TV about survival , and the best thing Is always at night when everything is done and they build a camp fire.  It brings a lot to someone alone, so much comfort on many levels. wilderness a fire means ,comfort from the cold and pests, protection from larger attackers. A source to cook food, or to boil water etc..

What does a fire offer to the modern person safe in their steel and glass work place?  I think it stirs up something primal in us, something lost from our past. Just this week a friend called and said she wanted to stop by and catch up. She brought plants from her garden and wine and beer to share as well as a new dog in her life.

I built a fire in our fire pit on our back deck, it was a cool breezy night and there was plenty of light from the fire so we sat around drinking and catching up. I find I get transplanted every time I sit by fire. A thousand past memories stir up as I poke at the fire, camping trips, sledding in the park,ghost stories and romance.

How often have you seen a film and people set the mood by building a fire in the fireplace even if its in a penthouse in New York. The same deep mysterious images filter in. I  have read about it’s a good idea to go barefoot and walk on the grass and feel the Earth “move”. That might seem like hippie shit to you,but there is something very nice about the effect.

We are very busy in our air conditioned world, with heated car seats, mp3 players blasting in our ears, cell phones always in our hands..we loose touch. The nice thing nature is near by waiting, I live in the suburbs,but I’m lucky enough to live near a trail where railroad tracks use to be, this path follows an old creek and deer,wild turkeys  and sometimes a fox or two show up.  I see folks use the trail to workout ( I do as well) but they seem to ignore the beauty all around them.

If your feeling stressed out, I would offer a simple walk listen to the woods and then settle down for the night by a fire. Give your head a break from the constant noise of the modern world.

Peace and love all!

No comments:

Post a Comment