Thursday, November 15, 2012

Just a walk in the woods

One of the best things about living in Missouri  from my location in St. Louis is I have so many beautiful parks to hike through. My friend Jay is a photographer and he will take the time to look up the local parks for trails and give me a call and off we go. Jay gets some great photos and we both get are work out.

I think by far the best trail around my neck of the woods (sorry I went for that) is the Chubb trail, 7 miles of deep woods and great views of the Meramec river. I have in the past year or so hiked at least a dozen trails through these state parks. I have seen bald eagles,deer ,wild turkeys and tons of beautiful trees.

I started out looking to lose weight, I did not expect to find such inner calm along the way. When I first started I would take my mp3 player with me,but I was missing out on so much. The main thing was to be able to let your mind flow and not have to hear from anyone but yourself.

Some basic things would be comfortable shoes and suitable clothes depending on the weather. Bug spray in the summer and water can be vital. I carved some walking sticks for my daughter and myself that come in handy as well. We have walked when its 13 below and found quick where I needed to cover up in the cold. In the fall like now the leaves are everywhere and you have to really watch your step.

At Castlewood park which joins up with the Chubb trail they have some very steep hills that give you a great view as well as a tough workout. You can pick and choose your paths from just a mile to an all day hike. All of these trails tend to blend in which is fine with me because I enjoy just being out in the woods.

I spend my week sitting in my office with a nice view of a hill,on the weekends I make sure I’m far away from the indoors as much as I can. The more you walk/hike the more you want to.

So if your looking for an easy way to get fit,feel good and get some calm in your life then turn of the TV and lace up your boots and hit the trails.

Peace and Love all!

No comments:

Post a Comment