Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Time to Give Thanks

Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday; I love the autumn and the crisp morning air and I feel the change is everywhere at this time of year. People tend to huddle more around the table at my house and great conversations rise up over many topics. Favorite films are watched again and a good book to read with a glass of wine nearby makes for a wonderful night. It is also the holiday that I decided to take responsibility for my health.

I chose Thanksgiving for many reasons but above all people over eat more and move less. Now a year later and I am about 25lbs or so from my goal weight. It took about as much as effort as just saying No every time I wanted  to eat something bad and Yes every time I had the chance to move.   It really is just that simple,make up your mind that enough is enough.

Just some of  small things that happened throughout the year I really enjoyed.

Helping find a home for a couple of Pit bulls was a real blast I was glad to help out with.

Going to the Rene fair  where my daughter worked and hanging out drinking rum with Celtic music playing.

I went to my first Gay Pride day in the park and met a lot of very cool people there.

My wife got a group of family and friends together and did a home makeover for my Mothers kitchen.

Got in a lot of bike riding and hiking in through out the year.

Wearing my Kilt at the Highland games was great day of Scottish Pride.

Spending a couple days swimming with “Lucy & Ethel” during the heat blast we all went through.

Friends showing up with a bottle of wine and hanging out on our deck.

Seeing some great local bands and talking shop.

 

These are small things over all but they were all good times I had because of the people I got to spend time with. I count my blessings and treasure my children and wife and family and friends alike.

As it gets colder and those comfort foods surround you, keep in mind the summer is not that far off and all the things you missed out on because you were not in good enough shape will soon be here again. Make some smart choices this week,eat a little less and move a little more. Please don’t wait for the New Year to make a move, when giving thanks this year don’t forget to reward yourself and take better care of your health !

Peace and Love All!

No comments:

Post a Comment